Space travel has always been a fascinating topic for people all over the world. The idea of being able to explore the vast universe beyond our planet is an alluring one, and space missions have captured the imaginations of people for centuries. In recent years, there has been a renewed interest in space exploration, as new technologies have made it possible for us to visit and even colonize other planets.
It will also be the largest rocket ever built, measuring over 30 meters in height and 8 meters in diameter. The SLS will be assembled at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, and it is scheduled to make its first flight in 2022.
The SLS will be an important part of NASA’s plans for future space exploration. It will enable the agency to send humans to Mars within the next two decades, and it will also be capable of launching large payloads to other destinations in the solar system. The SLS is a key piece of NASA’s strategy for ensuring that the United States remains a leader in space exploration.
Components of the Space launch system
Space launch system or SLS is an American Space Agency’s (NASA) program to develop a new launch vehicle for deep space exploration. The launch system is being designed to be flexible for launching spacecraft for crew and cargo missions to low-Earth orbit (LEO), the Moon, Mars, and beyond.
The Space Launch System will consist of two core stages, two boosters, and an upper stage.
The core stages will be powered by four RS-25 engines, with each engine providing 1.6 million pounds of thrust. The boosters will be powered by two solid rocket motors, each providing 5.5 million pounds of thrust. The upper stage will be powered by a single RL10 engine, providing 100,000 pounds of thrust.
The Space Launch System will be capable of launching payloads weighing up to 130 metric tons to LEO, and will be able to launch payloads weighing up to 70 metric tons to Mars.
Development of Space launch system:
NASA’s Space Launch System is being developed by a team of contractors led by Boeing. Other major contractors include Lockheed Martin, ATK, and Orbital Sciences Corporation.
The Space Launch System is currently in the preliminary design phase. The first flight of the Space Launch System is scheduled for 2018.
The total development cost of the Space Launch System is estimated to be $18 billion.
Parts of Space launch system:
– Core Stage: The core stage will be powered by four RS-25 engines, with each engine providing 1.6 million pounds of thrust.
– Boosters: The boosters will be powered by two solid rocket motors, each providing 5.5 million pounds of thrust.
– Upper Stage: The upper stage will be powered by a single RL10 engine, providing 100,000 pounds of thrust.
– Payload Fairing: The payload fairing will protect the spacecraft from the aerodynamic forces and thermal environment during launch.
– Interstage: The interstage will connect the core stage to the boosters.
– Launch Vehicle Adapter: The launch vehicle adapter will connect the upper stage to the payload.
– Ground Support Equipment: The ground support equipment will be used to prepare the launch vehicle for flight.